Assessing the Product vs. the Process

Studio HabitsAs an art educator, I am constantly rethinking and reworking the projects that we do throughout the year. This summer I decided to work on some projects but I am taking time to review and rework my rubrics.

In many ways I am required to quantify straightforward objectives that I outline for my students along with the final product. But if I am to encourage my students to think creatively and problem solve, I need to look at how I am accounting for that in the classroom. Hoe can I do this? Can it be done at all?

I have been doing a lot of reading on the studio habits of the artistic mind and have found tons of useful information online. I would love for my rubrics to contain more subjective options where the students can self-assess their creative processes as they go. I’m excited to formally add these habits to our procedure. Below are some printouts that can be downloaded from Art of Ed. Cg5SMIeWMAAkISZ

Art Show 2016

IMG_1256Hard to believe that this is my third art show at Ephrata! There is nothing more exciting than to display all the beautiful works the students worked hard to create all year! I feel more proud of their work than my own!

We display their artwork at the local library which is a wonderful opportunity for us to advocate the importance of what we do as art educators. The comments we receive while setting up and tearing down are heartwarming. It is great to be out in the community and meeting with the people who use the library. I especially love when they share their own school art stories, and how impressed they are at the kids’ sophisticated art. I work alongside the elementary and high school teachers because we represent the entire district. We each take an area to “decorate” and middle school is in charge of the main corridor.

The biggest challenge is having enough wall space to display everything, and also how to keep everything attached to the walls (bumpy concrete blocks) with something more than tape. We tried something new this year that I had heard about on an online teacher group and it is life changing! It is deer netting. The best $19 I ever spent. We thumb tacked it to a wooden strip and simply attached all of the artwork with paper clips. I secured the netting to the wall with a dew extra strips of Gorilla tape hidden behind the works of art. Voila! This not only maximized wall space, but also kept the pieces up. Yay! It’s always scary trying something new but I’m so glad we did!! Below is an album of this year’s art show. Enjoy!